Friday, August 05, 2005

...

All continues to be a lot of fun. I took a 3.5 hour solitary hike on the preserve yesterday. Pretty awesome. I tracked a blue wildebeest and a zebra – neither of them had much to worry about. I also saw 2 mongooses. Cute. Got back at dusk. The sun setting on the bush was beautiful. Purple, red, blue, orange…

We worked for ½ a day today, then we went to Sterkfontain caves (The Cradle of Humanity). It is where the oldest humanoid remains have been found. It was not as commercial as public caves back in the states and we were able to do a bit of poking around. The country is not so litigious so it was fairly rugged .

As much fun as the caves was the drive. 6 of us went. I drove. South Africans drive on the left hand side…and the car I drove…imagine your worst beater car; then, imagine it 10 years later…that’s what I drove. Stick shift – which means since the steering wheel is on the opposite side; you shift with your left hand. I will not know how to drive when I get home. We passed a shanty town that rolled over hills. I have no idea how that level of poverty is possible.

Tomorrow early morning 6 of us leave for Pilanesberg NP. A 3 hour trip. It has the big 5. We are staying overnight in a backpackers hostel…dorm style. I am pretty excited about what we could see. I especially am hoping to see elephants and giraffes in the wild.

No comments: