Sunday, August 14, 2005

It’s Sunday morning – almost noon. I decided to stay on the preserve today. Most of the others have gone to Pretoria. What a beautiful day today. I am going to go out into the bush shortly. Quiet morning… coffee, a muffin, took my clothes down off the line, a shower… next a long long walk. The kudo have been seen again and I hope to see them. It has become 2nd nature to be working and have zebra, ostrich, wildebeest, a wide variety of antelope and whatever else watching. I saw bush babies for the 1st time 2 nights ago. Apparently they live in the trees around here. They are like very small …koala bear looking things (?). Not likely to have any pics since they are nocturnal.

Yesterday some of us went to the apartheid museum. It was one of the best museums I have been to. I was reminded of a lot of things I had forgotten. There were a ton of films from news footage and you could see the demonstrations and riots happening in place that are already familiar to me. The reality of what took place here and being here is not easily put into words. I cannot believe that the majority of individuals here did not have the right to vote until very recently. The government leaders were pretty f----- up. I left there with a very “strange” feeling.

Work continues. We are making progress but it is slow. This coming week is a short week as we have Friday and Monday off. We are all going to Kruger for the weekend. The guide from this preserve is going with us. He used to work over there. It’s about a 5 hour drive. There are caves and waterfalls we will be stopping at along the way. We will be staying at a hostel just outside the park. 2 days in the park. I think I may do a morning drive – it starts at 3 AM!!!

I am sure there is a ton more to talk about since it’s all so new… like Beefcor. It’s the slaughter house where we pick up meat for the hyenas. Lonely cow heads looking at the sky were laying all over the ground… intestines….stomachs….

Anyway, it’s time for a walk. Take Care!

Well… I’m back from the walk. (3h 45 m) I wasn’t able to post the stuff above because the internet would not connect. LONG walk. I saw the usual: ostrich, zebra, blesbock, wildebeest, and a jackal. We practically ran into each other at a corner in the road. Him coming one way; smiley (the dog who came with me) and I the other. We all stopped stared at each other; then, smiley decided he would protect me and got into a little rough and tumble. No one hurt in the end.

Did end up breaking my damn watch though…lost a pin while I was out there. How will I know when it’s break time tomorrow? J

Ok, I am gonna go take a nap before dinner.

No comments: