Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sunday

Sunday, 1 pm

Jut back from a walk on the preserve. I cannot believe that I have been here a month and am starting my final 2 weeks. About ½ of the volunteers remain. The rest are leaving over the next 24 hours. When I get back from Victoria Falls all the volunteers will be gone and the new ones here. Only 3 of them ere signed up for September, but some of the folks in Cape Town will be returning for a few days. I leave for Zimbabwe tomorrow morning. I am not sure what to expect. I would really like to see some other parts of the country beyond the falls but that is not likely.

Yesterday I and 2 other guys drove to Tswaing. There is a huge meteor crater there. We hiked around and into it. Took us over 5 hours to find it – the road signs in South Africa are almost non-existent and when they are there, they are anything but clear. The trip home took us 90 minutes. On the way there we saw some pretty “interesting” things… Cattle all over the road. They were like an obstacle course. Then there were the numerous donkey drawn carts. One of them even had a team of 4 pulling it with what looked like a car bench seat mounted to the frame.

The mood here is pretty somber. The folks that are going home are kinda down and those few that remain are not in such great spirits either. I think it I a reminder that we will be leaving not long from now too.

I need to go prepare some things for my trip. I have no idea if I will have time or ability to post from Vic Falls. I return to Klipkop Game Reserve on Thursday afternoon.

No comments: