Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Wed Night

All is pretty quiet around the house tonight and the internet was available…. Most of the other volunteers stayed in Jo’burg to watch a movie. We went in for our weekly trip for supplies and whatever. I and a cpl others did not feel like staying so we took one of the cars and I drove back out to the preserve. It is about a 45 min drive or so. Good thing I did cause I feel like crap. I made the mistake of drinking some apple juice that I got last week. Actually it was more like what we call cider. Didn’t agree with me…their pasteurization process is not the same as ours.

The drive was cool – like all the others. I am still amazed every time I see women balancing huge bundles no their heads. No matter how off balance the bundle – they still do it.

Work is going better. We put in fence post holes today and will continue with that tomorrow. The girls will be tearing down and old fence. Shara, the girl who was sick is fine, but another one smashed her knuckles while chopping today. Did I also mention that another volunteer sliced 2 fingers on the razor grass out on the preserve? He should have had stitches but refused.

It’s quiet a group of people here. I am not exactly a group person but as long as I can get away every once in a while, it is bearable.

This weekend we are staying around the preserve. Next weekend is Kruger Park. I think I am gonna sign on for the extra 2 weeks here but try to get a long weekend to go to Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls). That will likely be in about 3 weeks.

I miss home and the comforts. It is pretty hard to wrap my head around the way it all works here. When I get home I will tell you all about it. Right now, this computer and keyboard SUCK, so I am gonna bail.

No comments: